Gary Barlow at the Symphony Hall

Gary Barlow at the Symphony Hall

Friday, 15th June 2018 – Over 2,000 women (some of them dragging along their partners) turned into screaming fan-girls once again as the one and only Gary Barlow stepped on stage at the Symphony Hall in Birmingham as part of his Theatre Tour.

Gary opening with Since I Saw You Last.
Gary opening with Since I Saw You Last.

Opening with Since I Saw You Last (the title track from his 3rd solo album), Gary Barlow launched into 2 hours of jam-packed hits from both his solo and Take That careers, as well as a couple of his songs from the musicals Finding Neverland and Calendar Girls.

GB singing.

GB singing at the piano.

GB laughing.

A very welcome addition to this 2018 tour is Gary’s new song Live Those Years Again. The song relives Gary’s career from the early days of Take That to where he is now and it’s quite comedic! With lyrics such as “The days when I thought I could get away with white peroxide hair and a thong!” and “My appetite for singing slowly dies, replaced by an appetite for pies!” – It’s such a brilliant and clever song.

GB covering his eyes.

GB

GB

GB

GB

Gary

Gary

No knickers were thrown that evening (that I saw, anyway!), but Gary did get more than he bargained for when he invited one lucky lady up on stage to sing A Million Love Songs to her. Barely a few lines into the song and, quick as a flash, Sarah moved from the stool at the end of the piano and sat on his knee, arms around him! Everyone cheered and every single one of us girls in the audience wished it was us up there being serenaded by Mr Barlow. I’m not entirely sure how he managed to make it through the song, but he did and was such a good sport about it, even joking afterwards.

Gary having a selfie with Sarah.
Gary having a selfie with Sarah.

Gary and Sarah

As always, Gary gave it everything he’s got and put on such a good show. From beautiful ballads like Forever Love on the piano to the energetic Cry, Gary had the crowd bouncing, singing and dancing along, arms in the air, waving, screaming. They… we… just can’t get enough!

GB

GB

Gary

Gary

Gary

Gary

Gary

Gary Barlow with guitarist Milton McDonald.
Gary Barlow with guitarist Milton McDonald.

I have attended a lot of gigs in my 23 years of concert-going, but I have to say this was the best so far! Gary’s on-stage presence, his singing, interaction with the fans (not just getting someone up on stage, but selfies, handshakes and reading out banners too) and just so much more.

A night I’ll Never Forget.

Gary Barlow - Never Forget

19 comments

1. jeanie says:

What a fun evening and it sounds like a fabulous concert. Don’t you love it when a performer is so generous and gives and gives like that? I’ll bet everyone was on their feet the entire evening!

Thanks for coming by my blog today! It’s always lovely to see you and I appreciate when you take the time to leave a note!

2. Kelly says:

I seldom go to live shows since I prefer studio music, but this sure looks like it was a great performance! I’m glad it was everything you hoped for, and more!

3. Judy Goddin says:

A fantastic night as always from the #Captain!
    Done several dates on this tour and loved every single one.
    The master of everything he does!
    Fab pics!

4. I don’t get to too many concerts, in fact the last one for me was about 5 years ago, when Barry Manilow was on his farewell tour. SIL had 2 tickets and her friend pulled out at the last minute, so I stepped in. Despite the rain (this was an outdoor concert at Southampton CCC) and the fact that Barry kept us waiting for nearly an hour, it was a phenomenal experience.

I do like Gary’s musical style and obvious ability, but I have to say that I preferred it when ‘Take That’ were a group, although by some strange coincidence, this afternoon, I caught an interview by Steve Wright, with Robbie Williams and I was not particularly impressed at all, especially as he was keen to stress several times that he would like to work with the band again – and we all know how that generally ends in tears!

You got some fantastic shots and souvenirs I’ll bet! You just can’t beat live music of any description 🙂

Yvonne
    xx

5. Jeanna says:

I wasn’t familiar with him so looked him up and see how popular he is. I’ve got to say your concert photos are so professional, wow. Thanks for the intro and I agree about more interesting in eating pies, haha.

6. Tilly travel says:

I love it when a performer enjoys his audience as much as they enjoy the performer.

Looks like you had a great evening, that fun feeling lasts for days after doesn’t it.

I like Symphony Hall, there are no bad seats.

7. Kezzie says:

That sounds so wonderful. What great photos you have too! HOW lucky was that lady! Good on her to take advantage of the moment! He looks so handsome here. I didn’t like him at all with Peroxide hair but now, he looks fab!